Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Birthday party blues

This week was the first time(although I am sure it won't be the last) that we had to decline a birthday party invitation because of food allergies.

Hannah has been invited to SO many parties this year that its made my head spin. We even had 3 more invites in this past week alone. One of them though I had to decline politely.

After speaking with the guardian, I realized that it wasn't going to be a safe environment for Hannah. The guardian wanted all the parents to simply drop off the kids and not stay. She was unable to tell me what food would be present and was very unaware about food allergies. She was very kind when asking if Hannah knew what she could/couldn't eat and if she could give herself her meds if needed. I explained to her that a 6 year old cant be responsible for giving life saving meds if they can't breath. I can't say for sure, but I feel like she didn't understand the severity of anaphylaxis and cross contamination.

I always try to educate people about food allergies whenever possible, so I explained a bit about anaphylaxis and what could happen. She listened but still was unable to tell me what food would be present.

Needless to say, this is a party that is not safe for her to attend. When I explained it to Hannah, she became anxious at the idea of me not being there. I don't blame her one bit. I already planned on declining the invite.

Out of curiosity, I asked her what she thought. She told me that she didn't want to go because she wasn't sure that she would be safe. She was not comfortable with the situation and told me that. I am proud of her. It's a hard decision and a mature decision to chose safety over the fun of a party.

I know she was disappointed though however I am proud of the choice she made on her own. I am SO proud of my kindergartener.

I am proud of her on so many levels, and this is yet another level where I thank the good Lord that she is cautious about her peanut allergy.

She is my life and I love her



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: