It's been nearly 1 year since we found out Hannah had a severe peanut allergy. The hard way. It still gives me goose bumps just thinking about it let alone sharing it out loud. I know that I have felt quite alone in this whole process, felt like no one understands the specific dangers. Certainly its peanuts themselves--but most important its cross contamination. That's the part where, I feel, people start not understanding or they feel that the the parent is being "too paranoid" if the child is young. Cross contamination is explained on several sites but I particularly like this one as its large print, easy to read, and has clear examples.
Like any parent, I was starving for information after her anaphylactic shock and hospital stay. This was completely new to us as we had no experience with food allergies. I googled "peanut allergy" that night and came up with a plethora of information that scared me to death. So I had to read the basics and take a step back from the "scary stuff". If your child has just been diagnosed, that is what I suggest. Learn the basics from a reputable source. I recommend the FAAN website. It is the Food Allergy Anaphylaxis network.
I am learning new things all the time, and unfortunately still have issues with some family members about the peanut allergy. Some people just don't get it. I still hear "I wouldn't think there would be peanuts in it" and "I am sure it would probably be ok". That is NOT good enough when it comes to my child. She can die from anaphalactic shock. Probably and don't think are not acceptable in our world. I have explained on several occasions but it doesn't seem to be understood.